Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Disagree or Disrespect?

As I flipped through the channels today, I stopped on MSNBC when I saw people carrying signs in the street saying things such as, "Congress: are you stoned or just stupid? Please wake up and save America," "We are under attack by our own government!" (UPI.com). I was appalled by some of the disrespectful and insulting things that were written on the posters, most worse than what stated above. Some related him to an African monkey in a zoo! Most were targeting Obama as a person and degrading him as an African American man. Some were even trying to say he was like Hitler by holding a sign stating, "Hitler made good speeches too." The videos of the people rampaging down the streets and yelling and screaming only made the images and signed more frightening. One poster, which in my opinion was the scariest, made it clear they were not armed, however in parenthesis under it stated, "Not this time."


After seeing all these horrific video clips, I changed the channel and tried to forget about it. I was so disturbed that I hopped up and opened my computer because I felt it was so wrong for these people to be saying such horrible things that I had to post my opinion. It would have been much more respectable if they had gotten their views across without insulting and attacking Obama as a person and his race. I couldn't believe it when not only were 'average' American's rallying, there was a senator from South Carolina rallying along with them.

Why is it that people feel it is OK to disrespect the president. Whether you agree with him or not, he is the president and he should be respected. People shouldn't agree with every single thing he says but there is a way to disagree without attacking someone personally.I feel these people failed miserably at staying classy and not making a fool of themselves

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree that everything you saw was appalling. Those citizens would have voiced their opinions more effectively if they refrained from using such crude language. They are really hurting their own cause. Their racism and outrageous comparisons will reflect poorly on every person, rational or insane, who opposes Obama. But there are nuts on both sides of the political spectrum and that's something you could never appreciate if you live for MSNBC (not saying you do). I disagree with your belief that citizens should respect the president whether they agree with him or not. We the people elect our leaders and if they fail to follow through on promises or make drastic mistakes solely due to their own stupidity, people have the right to speak out against them as they please. I don't believe that is the case with Obama and I think demeaning anyone because of their race is disgusting. However, were he to miserably fail, I don't think that his presidential status should shelter him from harsh criticism. Respect isn't given to anyone who doesn't earn it, not even the president, and although protesters like the ones you saw voiced their opinions inappropriately, they are not obligated to respect a president they feel is a failure.

    ReplyDelete